Download this Job Description as a PDF: JOB DESCRIPTION SMUK CIC Convenor
|ROLE||SAVE MOVEMENT UK & IRELAND CONVENOR|
|TYPE||CONTRACT (FULL-TIME 37 HOURS A WEEK)|
|LENGTH||6 MONTHS with option to renewal dependent on funding|
|RENUMERATION||£24,000 p.a. (pro rata)|
|START DATE||April 2018|
The Save Movement is a worldwide network of groups bearing witness to farmed animals, advocating veganism, and promoting love-based grassroots activism. Our goals are to raise awareness about the plight of farmed animals, to help people become vegan, and to build a mass-based and community-organised animal justice movement. The Save Movement started in December 2010 with Toronto Pig Save, and began in the UK in February 2016 at Manchester Pig Save. There are now over 50 groups in the UK bearing witness and working for animal justice.
Save Movement UK Community Interest Company (SMUK CIC) is a newly-formed entity set up as a small, agile hub to serve and support from a non-hierarchical position the 50+ autonomous UK Save groups, and to help grow the movement in the UK and Ireland in a robust and sustainable way. SMUK CIC provides four key areas of support service to the UK and Ireland network, and exists to:
- Provide meeting organisation and convening services for individuals involved in the community who are based in disparate areas of the UK and who will benefit from access to these services;
- Provide guidance on fundraising, financial management and acting transparently to individuals within the community who need to access these services;
- Provide media training and representation, campaigns and outreach skills development, and cultural education training to individuals within the community who need access to these services;
- Provide support for establishing new volunteer groups and services for individuals within the; community who need access to these services.
We are now looking for a Convenor who can act as the coordinator and point person for the UK Save movement in helping solidify and grow the Save Movement in the UK and Ireland.
Reporting to the Director of SMUK CIC and working alongside fellow co-workers, the main responsibilities for this Convenor role are:
- Implement a clear strategy and deliverable tactics through collaboration and communication to forge an empowered sense of community among the UK Save groups at both organiser and vigil attendee levels;
- Ensure clear and regular communication between the UK Save Movement groups and SMUK CIC to be able to understand and respond quickly to the movement’s needs, especially around skills development, growth and movement aims;
- Provide a public face and point of contact for the UK Save Movement groups to the media, legal and other interested parties, and/or be able to identify the right person to send these to;
- Provide oversight responsibility for the work of Task & Finish Fellowship holders that are organised and funded from the global movement via SMUK CIC;
- Organise and convene a SMUK Steering Group to provide oversight and guidance from the autonomous groups, ensuring that SMUK CIC remains in service and support of the UK movement and retains its non-hierarchical, non-dominant position in the movement’s growth;
- When needed, attend vigils, events, talks and festivals to represent SMUK CIC and the wider Save Movement, and to promote the movement’s ethos and activities to other animal liberation and justice groups, and well as to the public; this is a shared responsibility across the roles.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a deep knowledge and commitment to the values and practices of the Save Movement and broader engagement with the animal rights field;
- Follow a vegan lifestyle;
- Be an excellent communicator in both face-to-face situations and written formats;
- Have a deep empathy for all living beings, including other humans with whom they both agree and disagree, and work well with others in often stressful and challenging situations;
- Have experience in people management, strategic development and/or project management within an animal justice or non-hierarchical setting;
- Be organised, self-motivated and able to juggle a portfolio of tasks and obligations with minimum fuss or need for hands-on management;
- Be registered as self-employed and/or sole trader with HMRC for purposes of paying their own tax, NI and pension contributions;
- Be able to travel on a fairly regular basis.
We are committed to ensuring the Save Movement in the UK is a diverse, loving, accepting and non-discriminatory movement, and we strongly welcome applications from those outside of white, cis-gendered male dominant cultural groups, although every application will be assessed on its merit.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter addressing your suitability to carry out the above responsibilities and why you feel you would succeed in this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline is 1159pm on March 15th
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact SMUK CIC Director Alex Lockwood on the above email or 07974 725 778.