Download this Job Description as a PDF: JOB DESCRIPTION SMUK CIC Campaigns and Outreach.
|ROLE||SAVE MOVEMENT UK & IRELAND CAMPAIGNS & OUTREACH LEAD|
|TYPE||CONTRACT (PART-TIME 17.5 HOURS A WEEK)|
|LENGTH||6 MONTHS with option to renewal dependent on funding|
|RENUMERATION||£24,000 p.a. (pro rata)|
|START DATE||April 2018|
The Save Movement is a worldwide network of groups bearing witness to farmed animals, advocating veganism, and promoting love-based grassroots activism. Our goals are to raise awareness about the plight of farmed animals, to help people become vegan, and to build a mass-based and community-organised animal justice movement. The Save Movement started in December 2010 with Toronto Pig Save, and began in the UK in February 2016 at Manchester Pig Save. There are now over 50 groups in the UK bearing witness and working for animal justice.
Save Movement UK Community Interest Company (SMUK CIC) is a newly-formed entity set up as a small, agile hub to serve and support from a non-hierarchical position the 50+ autonomous UK Save groups, and to help grow the movement in the UK and Ireland in a robust and sustainable way. SMUK CIC provides four key areas of support service to the UK and Ireland network, and exists to:
- Provide meeting organisation and convening services for individuals involved in the community who are based in disparate areas of the UK and who will benefit from access to these services;
- Provide guidance on fundraising, financial management and acting transparently to individuals within the community who need to access these services;
- Provide media training and representation, campaigns and outreach skills development, and cultural education training to individuals within the community who need access to these services;
- Provide support for establishing new volunteer groups and services for individuals within the; community who need access to these services.
We are now looking for a Campaigns and Outreach Lead who develop successful campaign and outreach support services to grow the effectiveness of the Save Movement in the UK and Ireland.
Reporting to the Director of SMUK CIC and working alongside fellow co-workers, the main responsibilities for this Campaigns and Outreach Lead role are:
- Implement a clear strategy through collaboration and communication to create strong campaign and outreach strategies and supporting materials for the UK Save groups to utilise and implement at both local and together at national levels;
- Ensure clear and regular communication between the UK Save Movement groups and SMUK CIC to be able to understand and respond quickly to the movement’s campaign and outreach needs;
- Research best practice in grassroots, community-organised campaigns and outreach methods to help inform what the Save UK groups are able to implement at their local and regional levels;
- Hold responsibility for the SMUK CIC media and outreach channels such as on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, developing workable processes and parameters for how this fits in with existing UK local and national social media presences;
- Organise and convene an SMUK Media and Communications / Campaigns Group to ensure that SMUK CIC remains in service and support of the UK movement and retains its non-hierarchical, non-dominant position in the movement’s growth in relation to campaigns the groups wish to run;
- When needed, attend vigils, events, talks and festivals to represent SMUK CIC and the wider Save Movement, and to promote the movement’s ethos and activities to other animal liberation and justice groups, and well as to the public; this is a shared responsibility across the roles.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a deep knowledge and commitment to the values and practices of the Save Movement and broader engagement with the animal rights field;
- Follow a vegan lifestyle;
- Be an excellent communicator in both face-to-face situations and written formats;
- Have a deep empathy for all living beings, including other humans with whom they both agree and disagree, and work well with others in often stressful and challenging situations;
- Have background or experience in campaigns and outreach work, preferably for animal rights, animal liberation or at least charitable/third sector organisations;
- Be organised, self-motivated and able to manage a portfolio of tasks and obligations with minimum fuss or need for hands-on management;
- Be registered as self-employed and/or sole trader with HMRC for purposes of paying their own tax, NI and pension contributions;
- Be able to travel on a fairly regular basis.
We are committed to ensuring the Save Movement in the UK is a diverse, loving, accepting and non-discriminatory movement, and we strongly welcome applications from those outside of white, cis-gendered male dominant cultural groups, although every application will be assessed on its merit.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter addressing your suitability to carry out the above responsibilities and why you feel you would succeed in this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline is 1159pm on March 15th
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact SMUK CIC Director Alex Lockwood on the above email or call on 07974 725 778.